The mission of the Department of Sustainability and Energy is to deliver highly reliable electricity, chilled water, steam, and utilities at the lowest cost to the campus.
With “Knowledge is Power” acting as the College of New Jersey’s Energy Conservation Awareness Initiative.
This department provides the overall energy management function at the College by identifying and implementing energy conservation measures and projects. Our work provides the administration of the Central Utilities Plant that consists of: the central steam and chiller plants and cogeneration plant; underground mechanical infrastructure; electric distribution infrastructure; HVAC/Energy Management System; and Instrument and Controls Lab, which supports the entire campus.
The Department of Sustainability & Energy’s Responsibilities:
- Administration and operation of the Central Utilities Plant
- Managing the campus fuel and utility budget, the departmental operating budgets, and project budgets
- Procures electric and fuel to support the campus for power generation and steam production
- Directs independent engineering design and development, construction projects for the central utilities and energy management unit, and participates in new building construction
- Maintains the Title V air permit, as most combustion sources are contained in the Central Utilities Plant.
- Develops and advances the College’s Energy Long-Range Plans